Saturday, September 20, 2008

the portuguese is back from the midlands

I came back last wednesday (with a 6-hour delay - thanks Sterling!) from a weekend trip to Manchester and Leicester.

I went to Manchester with other 3 guys fromk the swimming club to participate in the PrideGames - my first international gay competition.
Although swimming only filled the saturday afternoon, I swam a lot and eventually got 5 medals (3 gold and 2 silver) back home. Not bad for a first-timer! :)

Bur of course what we did most was clubbing and taking the most out of Manchester's gay village.
Our hotel was 2 blocks away from Canal Street, the epicentre of mancunian's gay life.
The street itself is amazing - a cute typical english street along a canal. And there are gay bars next door to each other from no. 1 Canal Street until the very end. And then on crossing and perpendicular streets.

No need to say, we were out friday, saturday and sunday. As true tourists, we had to try all of the bars.
Manchester was a pleasant surprise. English boys are not the most stunning, but boy are they flirtatious!
Another thing I loved, and missed from my London party-days, was the popmusic played at gay bars, with plasma screens everywhere showing the videoclips at the same time.

On sunday and monday we got to do cultural/sightseeing stuff. The centre of Manchester - the shopping streets and old-town are charming; and Salford Quays (15 min outside Manchester) is a must see, harbouring The Lowry, Imperial War Museum North, and Old Trafford not too far away.

I even survived the complicated english railway system, by visiting my friend Tania in Leicester I hadn't seen in 2 years, before flying back to wonderful Copenhagen.

For photos, check my Facebook profile ;)

No comments: